At the factory a boot or shoe is given its own, specific form, this is defined by the last. A last is a model rather like an artificial foot. It is made either from a solid piece of wood or plastic and it is around this that the boot is constructed. The last should correspond to the actual foot that will wear it. If it doesn’t every step you take will be painful and every hike will be pure torture.
Articles in this section
- Which models are best for which application?
- I often hear talk of a 'last", what is it?
- What is better, leather footwear or footwear with a Gore-Tex® membrane?
- What lasts longer, a show with or without GORE-TEX® lining?
- What features should Via Ferrata footwear have?
- Can I use Hanwag Via Ferrata Boots on a glacier trip?
- Can I use my trekking boots/shoes for Via Ferratas?
- How do I search for an item?